Tuesday 8 April 2014

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind Part 3

Thanks to Mary at Secret Obsession Blog, I was inspired to start this challenge as well. 

The original post is by Marc Chernoff at Marc and Angel Hack Life. Check out their blog for the full list of questions. 

I think that this is a great way to broaden one's mind and think about things that don't naturally occur to us. Some of these questions are a bit abstract, and it is up to you how to interpret them. I had some fun answering this first set, and I'm happy to share them with you. 


<<<< Part 1 | Part 2


Feeling Free



If not now, then when?
If not now, then in God’s timing. His timing is perfect. Have faith that He will never forget the desires of your heart, but He has a greater plan, and is preparing the way for something better. 

If not now, then when you are stronger. I guess some may argue that there is no better time than the present. And while I do agree to some extent, I also think that sometimes we may need to take things a bit slower. And that is OK. Don’t rush things. Go at a pace that you are comfortable with. Build your confidence first. 

If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?

I used to think that I knew the answer to this question, but in the last couple of years, I haven’t been so sure. Something I do know for certain, though, is that it would be work that contributes to the lives of others. And there would be various aspects to it. I would love to be able to help people make the most of their own lives. Whether it is health orientated or focuses on their well being in general. I would also love to work with kids, helping them to reach their full potential.

To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

It would be inaccurate to say that I have had no control over the course of my life, because along the way, I have been making most of the decisions. But, for the longest time now I have been feeling as if I have no control over the way things have been happening. I feel helpless and I don’t know how to regain that control. At medical school I was just rolling with the punches and just letting things happen, whether I liked it or not. I wasn't putting up much of a fight.

And right now, the decision is completely in my hands. I have to choose where I head off to next, but I couldn't be any more unsure.

Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?

Hmm, I don’t think that I can say for definite which I worry more about, because to me, it is equally important to do the right things, and to do them right. But it is important to note that the right things are different for each of us. What is right for me might not be right for everyone else. This is why it’s important to figure out what it means to you. We can’t do things because everyone else around us seems to be doing it. Also, I think it's important to do these things for the right reasons.

This is something I strive towards but sometimes fall short of. We can’t always be perfect, so I’m learning to be patient with myself.

Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

For me, the real question is whether I would rather be constantly worried or constantly filled with joy? And when stated in this way, the answer comes easily. I would rather be joyful even if the consequence would mean that I live life, by definition, as an ignorant, naive or silly person. I say this because sometimes I truly believe that ignorance is bliss. What use could there be to have the weight of the world on your shoulders? Life is for living. And constantly worrying will take that away.

You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do?

I have never been a fan of confrontation but I don’t think that I could just sit there and let them criticize people that I love. I would try not to cause a big scene, but would point out that they have no right to say such things, and that their thoughts are best kept to themselves. 

If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?

This is not such an easy question to answer, as I have never traveled out of South Africa, so I can’t be certain of how my life would be different anywhere else in the world. But as much as I do love living here, I have a real need to explore the world and experience different cultures. So having said that, I would move to Europe and explore the different countries, staying just long enough to experience life the way the people do, but not long enough to be called a citizen.


If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?


This depends entirely on what my current job is. If it is something that I always dreamed of doing, then no, I will just take an extended holiday to go travel the world. If my current job leaves much to be desired, then yes, I will quit and go off in search of something that will bring me joy.

 If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?

Don’t wish away any second of your young life, and enjoy everything about being a child while you can. 



Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now?
I’m guessing that the point of this question is to make one realize that even though something can make us extremely upset right now, down the line it will become a distant memory, one that we may even forget all together.

5  years ago, I had started my first year at university. The things that happened back then don’t have any direct bearing on the way things are today. Yes, they shape us and influence who we become, but somewhere along the way, the actual event, the actual situation started meaning less and less.


***

Feel free to let me know what you think!
Also, check out the links above.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment