Thursday 9 January 2014

"50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind" PART 1

Thanks to Mary at Secret Obsession Blog, I was inspired to start this challenge as well.

The original post is by Marc Chernoff at Marc and Angel Hack Life. Check out their blog for the full list of questions.

I think that this is a great way to broaden one's mind and think about things that don't naturally occur to us. Some of these questions are a bit abstract, and it is up to you how to interpret them. I had some fun answering this first set, and I'm happy to share them with you.

Feeling Free

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

Currently, I am 23 years old. I have never really felt my real age; except maybe when I turned 18 and became a legal eagle. Since then, I have been trapped in the life of a 20 year old student. Most people my age are starting their lives. They've graduated, are in serious relationships, and some are even starting their families. I, on the other hand, am still a struggling student, and still very much dependent on her parents, even though I don’t live with them anymore.

Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Regret is one of the toughest things to live with. And if you are a chronic over thinker like I am, then the “what if’s” would surely drive you insane. So as much as failure hurts, I believe that it is the lesser of the two evils. 

From failure comes growth and wisdom. You learn ways in which things don’t work, so the next time you give it a shot you may find yourself closer to figuring it out. You also learn a lot about yourself in the process. You learn that you are tougher than you give yourself credit for. You discover the true meaning of that specific task, or venture, and your priorities become so much clearer.

“You’re failure is only a waste of time if you learn nothing from the experience.”
If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?

I think that these days there is so much pressure placed on us to make a decent life for ourselves and future families. We have to work hard to make a living. And this is seldom an easy undertaking. Sometimes, we don’t get to do what we truly want to because it just wouldn’t pay the bills on time. We get so lost running this rat race that we forget to live. We put aside the things we love and just get on with what needs to be done.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

 “Actions speak louder than words.”
It is my greatest hope that I will have done more than I've said. I want to have truly made a difference, in whatever small way, instead of just having only spoken of these elaborate plans without pursuing them.

Lately though, I feel that there are a lot of actions left undone. I think that this is why optimism has been so difficult for me over the past year. Inspirational words, quotes and words of wisdom that used to really mean something to me, suddenly just started to be simple words, struggling to instil positivity; they had lost their meaning.
However, I have come to realise that it is only up to me to get things done; and optimism is more than words perfectly put together. These words help to nurture hope inside our hearts’. Without hope, we would feel as if we have nothing to hold on to when days seem to go dark.
What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?

Love. We don’t have nearly enough of it for our neighbours.

Without love,
There is no respect for our fellow human beings.
Violence and cruelty headline newspapers.
Innocence is lost.
Loneliness fills the heart of the people we see every day, but silently walk past unaware.

With love,
We take care of one another.
There is no selfishness.
There would be no corruption, poverty and everyone would have a home.
We wouldn’t live with the fear of being harmed.
There would be no need for civil wars or political uproars fuelled by greed.
Everyone is safe.
Everyone would live in peace and harmony, together.

This is what I would change if given the chance; I would instil true love into each and every person.


Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?

At this stage in my life, I would have to say that I am not exactly doing what I believe in, but this is important because it will eventually put me in the right position to have that freedom.

I need to go through the motions of studying, graduating as a doctor, being an intern and doing general medicine for the required time before I can go into a specific area of medicine.

So, yes, right now I am settling for what I am doing. And I’m trying my best to get through it as unscathed as possible.

Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?

Yes, I actually do push it more than once, depending on my current mood, and whether or not I’m in a hurry. But no, I don’t believe that it will make the elevator move any faster. I think that it's just my way of making sure that the elevator and I are on the same page, and that it got the message! J

Why are you, you?
I am me, because of the sacrifices my parents have made to give me, and my sisters, the life that they have always dreamed of.
I am me, because I have been taught lessons that have been hard to learn, but that have showed me the true value of love. I have been raised with compassion, and respect for people from all walks of life.
I am me, because I believe that God has made me for a specific purpose. I choose to believe that everything happens for a reason, even though it may be difficult to understand.
I am me, because I am truly and deeply loved.
Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?
Ye, I believe that I have been. I am open and honest and I truly care about those closest to me. I won’t always know the right things to say, and I might be a little crazy and stubborn but I will never intentionally cause you any harm.
I will always be here if you ever you needed a shoulder to cry on, and will never turn you away. I will fight for you, if you are willing to do the same. 

Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?

Losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you. Sometimes, relationships take a little effort. It is up to both of you to make it work, even if it simply means a message every now and again, checking how things are going.

When a good friend moves away, it does not mean that the relationship needs to end. It simply means that you might not see each other as often as before. We are living in a world where technology is literally at our fingertips. It is up to both of you to not give up on each other.
***
Feel free to let me know what you think!
Also, check out the links above.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment